Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Wolf Of Wall Street

No, I haven't seen an advance screening, just read the script. Not only will studios release their Oscar bait movies this time of year, they often make several screenplays available online, legal and free, though it's generally temporary. For your consideration.


Anyway, about the script: well-written, feels tailor-made for Scorsese & DiCaprio, and the role Jonah Hill plays also seems written just for him…but the whole thing's basically worthless. Who needs another story about a guy who could and did have everything he ever wanted - most of which is cars, mansions, drugs, and hookers - then squandered it? And all paid for with illegally-acquired millions. Am I meant to have any kind of empathy or sympathy for this character? Why would I fucking bother?

And it's all true, of course. Well, the people are real and these things happened; naturally it's fictionalized and dramatized and sanitized and satirized for our protection…which kinda makes it worse. Because I simply don't see the point in celebrating the choices of a person who was incredibly good at what he did but fucked it all up by being stupid about it. Why does such a talented broker feel the need to engage in any sort of wrongdoing? Why destroy oneself and one's marriage with drugs and infidelities? Is it so fucking difficult to just be happy being insanely rich?


That's a question I suppose I'd like to be able to answer for myself, but setting it aside, there is nothing new or interesting or compelling about this story. We've seen it before, I didn't care then, I don't care now. The movie may very well be quite entertaining, in the hands of the talented filmmakers involved, but this shit ain't worth my time.

Also: nearly all the female characters are sex trophies or hookers. Those who aren't have very little screen time or impact on the story. A head-shaking disappointment.

No comments: