Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sequels

I'm not against them...I even get really interested, in some of them. I just wish they would actually make good movies, not only with the sequels, but in the first place. I can think of five second sequels (that's a quantity of third movies, not movies five seconds long, heh heh) coming out this summer, two of which are already in theaters...yes, that's FIVE movies that are the THIRD in what may very likely end up becoming more than a trilogy. I'm sure anyone who reads this has already heard of the movies, but those five, off the top of my head, are: Spider-Man 3, Shrek the Third, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Ocean's Thirteen, and Rush Hour 3. Here's a quick cast-off opinion for each.

I used to be a big fan of Sam Raimi; I think the Spider-movies are stupid and overblown. What happened to him? A lot of spectacle, but nothing spectacular. Tobey sucks. Kirsten is so much better than that. I hear a lot of people say the first one wasn't so good, sure, but the second one was near-perfect...I think those people are nuts. The second one was just as stupid, only in different ways. He keeps taking off his mask for no reason; that alone is enough for me to frown and shake my head, but there's so much more...

I like the first Shrek because it's funny, even though the story doesn't hold together, and elements of the animation are quite amazing, such as the lighting, backgrounds, and textures, but the facial expression is really pretty bland, especially compared to the work by Pixar. Now, the only reason I make a direct comparison here is that in 2001, Shrek won the first Oscar for Best Animated Feature, when it was so clearly more deserved by Monsters, Inc. That will continue to piss me off until the end of time. I have not yet gotten around to renting Shrek 2. I'm sure it will be funny and pretty, yet lacking in story and emotionally expressive character animation.

The first Pirates looked great, sounded great, made good use of its large budget...still kinda stupid, though, and I expect the same of the second one, which, again, I have not yet gotten around to renting. I will; I swear.

Ocean's Eleven is not a great movie, or even a good movie, but it is a fun movie. Entertainment for the sake of entertainment, and there aren't enough movies like it these days. I really enjoy it, and I watch it all the time. Twelve, though...blecch. They tried too hard to recreate the fun, and it was simply too ridiculous. Too much plot. If the third one gets back to what made the first one enjoyable, which is the interaction of all these actors who seem to be having a great time, it just might work out okay.

Rush Hour is a dumbass action comedy, an old formula that only works when the characters themselves are more interesting than merely entertaining. These guys are not interesting. I had, and still have, no reason to see the second one; now that there's finally a third, I have no reason to see that one either.

There is a distinct possibility that any or all of these franchises will not stop at three. I don't think that's a bad thing...I just wish they wouldn't spend so much money on sequels, and have more set aside for original ideas, for simple, interesting cinema. I know it's a business, and every business needs a big moneymaker, but...it's just too much. How many other sequels, and comic book adaptations, and remakes, will be out by the end of year? I don't much feel like counting, but the funny thing is, some movies fit more than one of these categories...think about it. How sad is that?