Monday, June 18, 2007

Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert's birthday was a few days ago, so this seems like a good time to tell the story of the time I met him. I didn't approach him at some film festival, or stalk him in the lobby of the Sun-Times; I just happened to meet him, about ten years ago.

I was working in a music store in a terminal at O'Hare airport, and one afternoon, Roger Ebert wandered in, not really shopping but just killing time until his flight. Being an employee and all, I struck up the usual customer conversation; can I help you find something, that kind of crap...then asked him if he'd been to a press screening for some movie that was coming out soon. I don't remember which one, but I remember wanting to know more about it. It might have been Titanic; I'm not sure. But with no other customers stopping in, and he being early for his flight, we were able to stand around and talk about movies for twenty minutes.

I do remember asking what was his favorite movie of the year so far; he told me L.A. Confidential. I hated that movie then, and still do. What I remember most about our discussion is this: even though it's his job to give his opinion, in print and on TV, when you just talk to the man about movies, he's not as strongly opinionated...because it is his job to be that way, not his natural personality. He was very interested in what I didn't like about L.A. Confidential, and why. One could assume he was simply humoring me, but the conversation was more about our sincere respect for movies and film than our personal opinions. He just really loves movies, and loves to talk about them, as do I.

It isn't a very exciting story, I know, but it does support my belief that anyone with a passion for movies and a respect for the opinions of others is no different from anyone else with an equal passion and respect...even when one of those people is famous for his opinions.

No comments: