Thursday, June 7, 2007

Transformers


I know it won't be out for another month, but so help me, I actually want to see this in the theater. Just for the hell of it. It's summer, right? I don't have to be a film snob...not all friggin' year, anyway.

Not like I expect it to be good, or anything. Fun is not the same as good. Besides, it's Michael Bay, for gosh sakes. The man does not make quality films. But there is something uniquely, visually, cinematically compelling in his body of work, despite how utterly ridiculous the stories are, how stupid and ineffective and unmoving his movies always turn out to be. Anyone see The Island? What a stunningly beautiful load of crap that was. Although, if it wasn't for Bad Boys II, we wouldn't have Hot Fuzz...I suppose I can thank him for that.

Is this the time to set off on a diatribe of the disparity between art and commerce, quality and quantity, films vs. movies, blockbusters vs. moderate success? Nah. Sometimes I want to see a movie just for the sheer thrill of the experience. Say what we will about guys like Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer (who is actually not his exec. producer here); they do their big budget best to bring that thrill, and I have to give them their due. At least they stick with what they're good at; heaven forbid Mr. Bay tries to make a film with meaning, or true human emotion. Oh wait, he already did - Pearl Harbor...and we all know how that one sucked it hard. For the most part, anyway.

Talk about commerce; check these out.

No comments: