Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Songs Remain the Same

I find it very interesting when a song I've heard before, that I'm somewhat familiar with, is used during a scene in a movie, but used so well and so meaningfully that I can no longer hear the song without being taken back to that moment in the film - when the visual and emotional elements in the film become inextricable from the music. Here are a dozen examples off the top of my head - arranged, naturally, obsessively, even, some might say, in chronological order. (Mind you, these are not songs from movies, but songs already written, then used in the movie...songs with a life of their own prior to the existence of the film.)

Twist & Shout by The Beatles in Ferris Bueller's Day Off - How could anyone hear this song and not immediately picture Matthew Broderick on a parade float? Certainly no one from my generation...

Outshined by Soundgarden in True Romance - Brad Pitt smokin' a honey bear bong...those were the days, man.

Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd in Forrest Gump - along with Sweet Home Alabama (also used in Gump), probably their most widely known song...it's shown up in all kinds of movies over the years - the most recent in my memory being Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects (which used the entire song in a really stupid and boring way) - but the scene in which a despondent Jenny, fed up with her life of drug addiction, abuse, and loneliness, considers taking a dive from a balcony, edited to the pace of the music, really makes a strong cinematic impression, and that particular marriage of music and film really sticks with me.

Let's Stay Together by Al Green in Pulp Fiction - Hearing this, I can't help but picture a band-aid on the back of Ving Rhames' neck, and Bruce Willis' unchanging expression. Tarantino in particular is often mentioned as a filmmaker who creates indelible visual associations with certain music...I mean, who could possibly hear Stuck In The Middle With You by Dealer's Wheel and not think of Michael Madsen in Reservoir Dogs...the dancing psycho, the ear slicer...I mention it only because I listed another song from another Tarantino film, but it's not officially on my list...because it's just too easy.

The Seeker by The Who in American Beauty - Lester whistles the tune after a morning jog, on the last day of his life. The sound of a man who is doomed, yet surprisingly happy.

Where Is My Mind by The Pixies in Fight Club - I'd heard this song on the radio long before I saw the movie, and didn't think much of it...until the explosions went off. Now I can't imagine one without the other.

All Star by Smash Mouth in Shrek - Never a fan of the band, but a big green ogre washing himself in mud seems like a good match for the song...which I'm pretty sure was also used in the trailer for Mystery Men.

Notorious by Duran Duran in Donnie Darko - This movie uses a lot of eighties music to good effect, but for some reason, Sparkle Motion is a more distinct match...which is weird, considering they shot the scene using West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys, but couldn't get the rights to it.

Don't Stop Believin' by Journey in Monster - I don't think I've ever seen a song used so beautifully, and so powerfully, to drive a scene. Astonishing. I won't go into detail about it, because if you haven't seen it, I simply couldn't do it justice here. Rent it - the whole movie uses music very well, and this scene simply stands out.

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen in Shaun Of The Dead - I heard this on the radio yesterday, and totally felt like beating the crap out of a Zed-word with a pool stick. Also, the U.S. trailer shows our intrepid heroes approaching the Winchester, imitating the very crowd they walk amongst, to the tune of Pretend We're Dead by L7. A bit too on the nose, yes, but a great song, and it was still funny.

Something In The Way by Nirvana in Jarhead - I became an instant fan when Nirvana first hit the airwaves nationwide, and I've heard this song hundreds of times off the album, but it's become difficult to distinguish my own personal experience of the song from Swofford's predicament, his frustration, and that image of the sink filling up with vomited sand. Pretty strong stuff.

Super Freak by Rick James in Little Miss Sunshine - The song's been around a long time, and certainly doesn't have any deep psychological insight, but come on...Olive's crazy dance finally brings her family together. What can I say? I just love this movie.

If you want to hear any of these songs and see what they make you think of...well, go look 'em up! You've got an internet connection. After that, watch the movie. Tell me what you think. I like to hear opinions.

2 comments:

PeterH said...

There is a good version of Freebird in a flawed movie called Duets. Andre Braugher does a version. Bruce Paltrow, Gwenyth's father directed, she is in it and sings with Huey Lewis.

Also, The Seeker starts The Limey. It's great. And more Who... the best thing to me about Jerry Maquire is the opening when they use live Magic Bus.

Nice Blog.

PeterH

Mr. Literal said...

Thanks!

I think the best thing about any Cameron Crowe movie is the music, because I can't stand anything else about it. Hated 'Almost Famous', loved that band's songs. I only saw it once, about six years ago, but I can still hear 'Fever Dog' in my head.